Sunday, May 31, 2009

THE ONE I LOVE.

Like a zebra among warthogs,
Is my beloved among virgins!

The choicest of red diamonds,
Purest of them all,
Courage have they not
To rival the sparkle in the eyes of my beloved!

Outstanding among ten thousand,
With a rainbow for a smile,
Is my peacock;
Humbler and finer than eighty queens!

The teeth of my beloved,
Are like white- Egrets in a morning procession!

Of polished ivory is her body,
Easy to take for a craftsman’s work!

From her chest,
Rises breasts,
Like elephant tusks!

Then from her mouth
Comes a 'stench',
Purer in scent than the finest perfumes!
But did I tell you,
That when annoyed becomes my beloved,
Of honey drips her eyes?

The voice of my darling,
So sweet and sultry,
Like the tunes of a violin!

The compassion she has
Is that of mothers
In their thousands counted!
For virtue sits on her head,
Like a crown that defines royalty.

On her betrothal night,
To her parents I surrendered
Jewels that dazzled in her eyes;
And scared away my competitors for her hand,
Like RUJUMBA- ABWOOLI,
Cub to the great Lion,
The king of our village.

To guard her,
I shall hire a regiment of warriors,
Braver and fiercer than the Abarusuura* of King Kabalega.

With arrows,
And shields of cow-hide, I shall arm them:
More poisonous than the angriest black mamba!

In our village
Champion smelters I shall hire
To make my beloved spears
Of bronze shafts and heads of gold
Finer than Amahango*!

Her entourage
Shall stroll down the hills of Kabale,
With the majesty
Of stars that twinkle in a night’s procession!

-KYOMUHENDO- ATEENYI-

*Abarusuura- Very able warriors of the mighty EMPEROR- OMUKAMA CWA II KABALEEGA of BUNYORO- KITARA

*Amahango- The royal, beautiful and olden spears of the Chwezi Kings famed for conquest. They are a cherished regalia among the BANYORO peoples.